Monday 27 February 2012

Books are the bomb

I love to read. Love love love. I will read almost anything, and going to book shops is bittersweet. I love having books of my own, but funds and space (or rather the lack thereof) dictate that I must not buy. I recently downloaded the Kindle app for my phone, and later when we got an iPad, there too, so I can check out free and cheap books on there.

I'll be honest, I don't love it. I much prefer a real book, pages, bookmarks, the ease of flipping back several chapters or even just a few pages. I'm sticking with it though. I am currently reading this:

Picture from Amazon

It's a little bit hard going, and I'm blaming a lot of that on the kindle app - on the iPad it's back lit which is probably a little harsh on my eyes when I subject them to hours of it. I'd do much better with a hard copy. However, I am still at the beginning, Jean Valjean has barely made his appearance, for goodness sake. I'm sure that now it will get better.

Not half an hour ago, Ethan presented me with this:
I have left the few Puddle Lane books we have out and reachable for him for a LONG time now, I try hard not to push books at him because I've got a feeling he has my rebellious streak and it might put him off, but now we've read it and he's gone for another. I love that boy. Especially watching him do this:


And now finally, finally, I am getting Rich back into books. He doesn't have a lot of spare time, but I have convinced him to give this a go...


He's a few chapters in and likes it, but has fallen behind again. So much so that on Friday morning while Ethan was in school, I started it, and overtook him. On Saturday night I finished it. I forgot how that book grabs you!

Although I think saying I convinced might be too soft a word. I think my exact words *might* have been "You have to read this before we go and see it at the cinema."

Where books are concerned, there really is no arguing with me, and he started it that night. I think I might cajole him into reading a bit more tonight. It's all part of my not-so-evil plan to make us a family of book lovers :)

Update: This blog has now moved to www.undomesticaited.wordpress.com - Hope to see you over there!

No comments:

Post a Comment